We all had an expectation about adulthood when we were much younger, some of us thought we could handle this while other thought it was going to be a fairy tale. Fairy tale here is; Go to school, have good grades, graduate in time, dream job, dream car & house, dream spouse and family, voila you have made it.
Nobody told us there would be denial, disapproval, depression, difficulty etc along the way and our unexpected selves have panicked and gotten overwhelmed by the pressures of life. I am still in the process of discovering myself but here are things I try to do to help figure who I really am.
Currently listening to Burna Boy/ Ye *P.s I have joined. Lol!
- You have to believe there is something in you: I remember Bonang’s speech at SLAY Festival 2018, when she was asked what makes her Bonang, She said its just the Bonang effect God gave her, the only difference is she discovered it. You may share the same date of birth with a 1001 people, share the same oxygen with the world, but you will never share that special thing about you with anyone. You are You!. I am Me!.
- Allow yourself to be discovered: Be adventurous, don’t limit yourself because of certain norms the society forcefully placed on us. Try not to rush the process because everyone you know is doing it, ask yourself, ‘ Who am I?, ‘Is this me?’ and if it is…… Do you!
- Find like minds: Find people like you, who have similar goals and ideology. When I decided I was going to start blogging, the people I follow on social media changed, I decided to follow like minds like myself who on a regular will help me discover what I truly want and even who I am. Like they say, ‘Iron sharpeneth Iron’.
- Self Development/Love: Take out time to improve and love yourself physically, mentally, emotionally etc Nobody will do it for you.
- Trust your Instincts: After all these, you have to be bold enough to trust you can make certain decisions rightfully without anyone’s influence. Decide on what you think is right and stick to it- George Eliot.
Personally, I think you can never discover yourself enough or all of you because there would be situations you will have to do things you never thought you would do and that is very okay. You only just discovered a part of your inner self.
Bag: Miniso Ng
Hair: You people already this is my regular braid wig, Who’s gon send me a new hair?
How are you discovering yourself these days? Share in the comment section below and don’t forget to follow my blog.
Thank you for reading.